What is the Life Story?
One of the key elements of Best Friends™, the Life Story is the understanding that good Alzheimer’s care begins with acknowledgement of a person’s life story. Because people with dementia often can no longer tell us their histories, care partners must become their biographers, even if it means becoming a good detective.
The more a care partner knows about a person, the more he or she can use the Life Story to improve interactions and care, including:
- Greeting the person and improving recognition
- Introducing the person to others
- Improving communication through clues and cues
- Designing appropriate activities
- Pointing out past accomplishments
- Helping to prevent challenging behaviors
- Incorporating past daily rituals
- Broadening the caregiving network and resources